Winnie is a marketplace for child care and backed by a trusted community of parents and providers.project
Providers on Winnie were not regularly updating their child care listings. Analytics showed that less than 30% of providers were updating their listings every month. This created a negative experience for users who clicked through from search results only to see outdated or missing information about a daycare or preschool.
From the provider perspective, there was no visibility into how their listing was performing on the platform so they lacked incentive to update their business information. Up this point, Winnie had not invested in business tools for providers so it became apparent that we needed to create a dashboard for providers to manage their listings.
My hypothesis was that if providers could both measure their performance and update their listings from a centralized dashboard, it would improve data quality on the platform and strengthen Winnie's long term relationship with providers.results
Launching the business dashboard increased the number of monthly edits made to child care listings. This improved data quality and provided more users with accurate information about daycares and preschools.
I started off by thinking through the navigation on mobile web and desktop. On mobile web, the default state would be a table view so providers could see a list of all possible actions they could take on the dashboard. On desktop, providers would see a list of actions in a column to the left of the main content.
Then I thought through how to display the three key performance metrics for a listing — reach, views and referrals. Hovering over the information icon would reveal a tooltip that provided context about the associated metric.
Below metrics, I displayed a simple prompt to encourage providers to upgrade to a featured listing. These requests would get funneled to the sales team.
After reflecting on how the performance metrics were displayed, I realized that raw numbers by themsleves weren't useful unless a provider could filter by time period and also see the percentage change over time.
Providers also needed a way to visualize their performance in a chart so initially I looked into a stacked bar chart. However its difficult to compare the length of stacked bars and when the numbers are similar or there is no clear trend, its harder to make inferences based on the data.
In the final design, the key performance metrics were accompanied by gray explainer text so that providers wouldn't have to hover over tooltips to understand what each metric meant.
To make the percentage change more useful, the triangle icons were replaced with descriptions that also allowed me to deal with edge cases in the data. If there was no previous data and current data is not zero, the description would say "Over 100% increase from last month". If there was no change in the data, the description would say "Holding steady from last month". Otherwise the description would state the percentage increase or decrease.